See me @ Stellamajigs.com!

Can't get enough Stellamajigs? Come visit me on my website. From projects to products, a world of up-cycled information can be found there! Join me at http://www.stellamajigs.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

soda can flowers

Several years ago Mr. B and I went to an art festival at Huntington State Park just outside of Murrells Inlet, SC. It's a fabulous place with the amazing Atalaya Castle. Clicking on the link will give you information  about the place. It's a great location to spend a few hours; then you can go walk on the beach. Love it here!

Anyway, at the festival aptly titled Atalaya, hundreds of artists showcase their amazing talents and skill. I was intrigued with a metal artist. She made the most unique sculptures from copper. I chatted with her for a while, intently picking up information/inspiration and storing it in my brain. I believe that particular artist helped me to create my soda can flowers.

What I do is take a soda or beer can, hack cut it up, bend and twist the aluminum into interesting petal shapes leaving the bottom looking like the center of a flower.  It looks a little something like this:

There are two designs here, but I have three so far. This particular grouping is a gift I made for some dear friends. I think these would make fun centerpieces at a wedding or party. The beauty of these flowers is that they'll never die and can be used decoratively in the home or garden.

Here it is sitting on my 'antique' radio backed by our guitar guest book. I should do a post on that someday.
These flowers are completely made of recycled materials: Soda cans, the stems were saved from fabric flowers I've desecrated, used for other purposes, an old reused flower pot, and are anchored in there with shards of reclaimed tempered glass, which kinda looks like soil.  I added bloom on the pot. I cut it out using my Cricut. {Handy thing that one}

I hope you think they are as lovely as I do. I can show you how to make your own, or if you so desire I can make you some and ship 'em right to ya. They'd make a pretty funky bridal bouquet. But, I do gotta warn you, they are for decorative purposes only as the edges can be wicked sharp.

I'm linking up with A Diamond In The Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment