See me @ Stellamajigs.com!

Can't get enough Stellamajigs? Come visit me on my website. From projects to products, a world of up-cycled information can be found there! Join me at http://www.stellamajigs.com

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

all crackled up

One of the greatest things about old stuff is the patina on it. So there's a flake here, a scratch there, a mar or a dent. Just like human bumps, bruises, and scars, they each have a story behind it. Sometimes the story is really interesting, more often than not though, the explanation is lame. In my family, we make up cool stories for our scar, and believe me, the more hyperbole the better!

Case in point: My oldest son had to have surgery on his hips due to the epiphysis was growing crooked! Eek! He was all of thirteen, and spent the better part of the year on crutches. He was a bundle of sunshine...NOT!
Anyway, back to the point, he told one of his girlfriends he was tragically wounded trying to save another damsel  from herd of stampeding elephants. "In both legs?!?" She squeaked in horror. He told what happened, and there wasn't quite the same reaction, so you can see my point of the hyperbole.

Really, I'm getting to the point. Scar-ah yes, old things...okay, okay. The purpose of this entry is to tell you there's one aged finish you can create! CHEAPLY!!!

Seriously.

Crackle finish, we've all seen in, some of us think it's pretty cool LOVE it. And some people...well we don't care what they think. Here's the scoop:  On your surface you want to sport a nice, crackled finish, paint it. Let dry [if this is already done, so much the better] completely. Then coat the piece [or section] in white glue. Yes the school glue that is mega cheap most of the time, but even better if you get it during the 'back-to-school' sales. Lay it on pretty thick. Then wait 5-8 minutes depending on thickness, then coat right over the tacky glue with your top coat color. Try to make all the paint strokes in the same direction. Honest to Bob*  you can WATCH it crackle! For a complete [and better] explanation/tutorial  [with photos!] check out Make the Best of Things.  You'll be glad you did!  Now back to my spectacular crackled "Be Merry" garland.

*Honest to Bob-I say this as not to offend anyone's beliefs. Thanks  = ^ I

No comments:

Post a Comment